This is my recipe for making very soft gingerbread. I was originally following another recipe, but decided to change it up a little, with excellent results.
Makes about 40-50.
- 350g plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 115g salted butter, cubed
- 225g soft light brown sugar
- 5.5 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 190C, or 170C on a fan oven. Lightly grease 3 or 4 baking trays.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and sugar into a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Beat syrup into egg then stir into flour mixture.
- Knead the dough until smooth – You may need to add a small amount of water. Roll out to 1cm thick on a lightly floured surface, then stamp or cut out into whatever shape you wish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and puffed, about 8 minutes. Let them sit on the tray for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack.